Saturday, May 12, 2012

Strange Tales #109


Cover Date: June 1963

Plot Overview: The Human Torch runs across a man known as the Sorcerer running kids off of his property with dogs. The Torch uses his flames to stop the Sorcerer and he vows revenge for the Torch's interference. The Sorcerer reveals that he has the legendary Pandora's Box. He has learned how to use it and he's going to use it to gain revenge against the Torch.

Later, the Sorcerer enters a bank and uses the Imps of Hatred and Forgetfulness to rob the bank of $120,000. The Torch later arrives on the scene and figures out who the culprit really was. The Torch confronts the Sorcerer and has his flames washed away when the Sorcerer calls forth a flood. Johnny asks if he may choose his own death and the Sorcerer agrees. Johnny picks fire and then uses the Imp to recharge his powers. The Sorcerer goes to call for Fear but the Torch grabs the box and welds it shut for all time. The Sorcerer was permanently affected by the Fear Imp and the Torch says he'll never bother anyone again.

My Take: What to say about this story. It was throwaway filler for the most part. Nothing really important happened. I read through it and a month from now, I would probably have to reference this post to tell you what happened in this issue.

With that said, it was a decent read. It was paced well, the villain had a good enough gimmick and I didn't find myself bored by any of it. The art was pretty solid as well.

My biggest beef with this was the fact that the Torch was essentially tormenting the bad guy in the early parts. Sure, he was chasing the kids with dogs but they were trespassing to begin with. The Sorcerer was wrong but the Torch was kind of wrong too and he was being a bit of a bully. I know that Golden and Silver Age heroes tend to be that way but it really struck me more with this issue than with others. I think it was because the Sorcerer was really introduces as more of an eccentric than a bad guy at first. I'm probably putting too much thought into a one off villain though.

To go back to my thoughts on this issue. Nothing important happened but it was a fun little read for the time period.

I'll give this ** out of *****

Notes: There was nothing noteworthy about this issue.

Next Issue: Fantastic Four #16

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe To RSS

Sign up to receive latest news